Saturday, August 25, 2007

America's Camp

Well, I'm back from America's Camp and am trying to reintegrate into the real world -- and it's a challenge!! Camp was SO much fun!! Knitting was the surprise hit of the program -- nearly 100 campers and counselors came to our classes, and I used up every bit of yarn that was donated as well as all the needles and looms I bought. Here are a few pics to give you a flavor.

The "AC 6" flag that a someone crocheted for us...

The madness of the mess hall, with dancing at every meal...


My friend Jill, who I met in Costa Rica in February, and who volunteered to drive down from Boston to help teach knitting with me...


Our outdoor knitting classroom, with a group of counselors and junior counselors all making hats on knitting looms (rock on, men who dare to knit!)...


And some of the hats and scarves (and one pair of socks!) that the campers and counselors made (for privacy purposes, the campers' faces weren't photographed)...



















Hats were popular, as you can see; also quick and easy to do, using the knitting looms. Lots of people were knitting scarves on straight needles as well, but only one person finished in time to be photographed. I think the cold weather helped make knitting popular this year -- everyone wanted to be warmer!
I'm planning a bigger and better knitting program for next year, maybe with a sock workshop for the experienced knitters. And I'll know to stock more supplies as well.

No comments: